PerformancePoint 2010 UI Missing with SSRS Report After Aug CU

While working on a customer site, I ran into this problem. After the farm was patched to SP2010 SP1 and the August 2011 Cumulative Update, the normal PerformancePoint 2010 blue UI with the SSRS parameters located at the top was gone. It had been replaced with the typical SSRS report format with the parameters located on the right side. In this case it was a big problem because the parameters were very long project names and when located on the right side of the UI, would take up half the monitor screen.

After googling for a while, I found the following statement from Microsoft:

“So, the UI was changed after the August 2011 CU with regards to the way Dashboard Designer and PerformancePoint talks to SSRS. PerformancePoint was updated to work better and more in-line with how SSRS works with SharePoint in Integrated mode. Unfortunately the only way to get the UI back is to uninstall SharePoint and not patch up to the August 2011 CU or later (clearly not a great option). “

Definitely not the answer I was looking for - Time to roll up my sleeves and get under the hood. First thing you will notice is that while working in Dashboard Designer the Report Settings interface has changed. There is no longer a textbox to enter the Report Server URL into.

Before August 2011 CU:



After August 2011 CU:

In addition, you will see the following differences between Dashboard Designer code before and after the August 2011 CU:

Before August 2011 CU XML code:

<?xml 
version="1.0" 
encoding="utf-16"?><SqlReportViewData 
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" 
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" 
ServerUrl="http://server:39750/reportserver" 
ReportUrl="http://server/ProjectBICenter/SSRS%20Reports/EPMResourcePortfolioPlotting.rdl" 
ReportMode="SharepointIntegrated" 
ShowToolbar="true" 
ShowParameters="true" 
ShowDocMap="false" 
Zoom="100" 
Format="HTML4.0" />





After August 2011 CU XML code:

<?xml 
version="1.0" 
encoding="utf-16"?><SqlReportViewData 
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" 
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" 
ReportUrl="http://server/ProjectBICenter/SSRS%20Reports/EPMResourcePortfolioPlotting.rdl" 
ReportSite="http://server/ProjectBICenter" 
DocumentLibrary="SSRS%20Reports" 
RdlFile="EPMResourcePortfolioPlotting.rdl" 
ReportMode="IntegratedModeV2" 
ShowToolbar="true" 
ShowParameters="true" 
ShowDocMap="false" 
Zoom="100" 
Format="HTML4.0" />




Ok, so how do we solve this? First, save your Dashboard Designer workspace (.dwx file) to your local file system. Open the .dwx file with Visual Studio (any XML editor will work) and search for your reportname.rdl file. You will see code similar to the After August 2011 CU code above. Add in the tag ServerURL (line 6 as highlighted in Before August 2011 CU XML code). Delete tags ReportSite (line 7) and DocumentLibrary (line 8 as highlighted in After August 2011 CU XML code). Replace tag name for RdlFile with ReportUrl tag name. Change tag ReportMode from IntergratedModeV2 to SharePointIntegrated. Finally, delete any parameters located within the EndPoint tag. Utimately you need to make your XML look like the Before August 2011 CU XML code shown above. In my case I had to repeat this exercise twice as each report was listed in and in the element spaces. So make sure you search the entire .dwx file for each occurance of your report.

Second, save and replace the .dwx file on your local file system. Open the .dwx file back up with Dashboard Designer. Through trial and error I found out that you have to first right click the SSRS report and second the dashboard in the Workspace Browser and select save, and then right click the dashboard and select Deploy to SharePoint.

Open the dashboard back up in your favorite browser and you will see the PerformancePoint 2010 UI back in place.


Permalink | Comments (0) | Post RSSRSS comment feed